Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My motto

It is my duty to seek the truth and avoid falsehood as honestly as possible,
striving to promote fairness and justice in our world,
and to do good to the best of my abilities, or at least to do no evil.

These duties have I set for myself, for only thus do I justify my own existence
and make my life worth living.

*

Although it is my motto, I don't mind if others adopt it. IMHO, it might be a good idea for people to do so, or to devise their own, to help them steer their lives toward their own goals (which, hopefully, will not be totally selfish).

***

In Finnish:

Velvollisuuteni on tavoitella totuutta ja välttää epätotuutta mahdollisimman rehellisesti,
pyrkien reiluuden ja oikeudenmukaisuuden edistämiseen maailmassamme,
tehden hyvää kykyjeni mukaan tai ainakin ollen tekemättä pahaa.

Nämä velvollisuudet olen asettanut itselleni, sillä vain näin oikeutan olemassaoloni
ja teen elämästäni elämisen arvoisen.

*

Mottoni saa omaksua, jos ei keksi itselleen sopivampaa.

No comments: